There is no better way to celebrate the success of finishing school than on a well-deserved holiday with fellow peers and friends. And the youth of Australia do this in style through the ever-popular schoolies. For many high school graduates, Byron Bay is a favourite destination to party and chill with their friends. For the in-towers, Byron Bay schoolies have become an annual tradition that they all take part in.
Why Is Byron Bay Schoolies All the Rage Right Now?
Beach, sun, waves, booze, games, music and friends. That’s the definition of a party, and Byron Bay, being a cosy beach town located in the northeastern part of New South Wales, Australia, offers just that. The town hosts a variety of nightclubs, restaurants, bars, pubs, live music and beaches. School leavers can sing, dance, drink and relax, and celebrate the completion of their examinations and live life a little before taking up future responsibilities.
Byron Bay is the go-to place for adrenaline-junkies who love diving into adventure sports like mountain biking, hand-gliding, parachuting, skydiving, surfing, snorkelling, sea kayaking, sailing and diving. The town also has accommodation for every budget ranging from camping grounds and hostels to resorts and luxury apartments.
What Makes Byron Bay Safe for Schoolies?
The schoolie’s safety is ultimately determined by their planning, actions and behaviour. But there are several measures taken in Byron Bay to make it a safe place.
- Byron Bay has Visitor Centres near every bus station providing maps of the town that helps people navigate and ensures that they don’t get lost in an unknown town.
- The Byron Shire Council has designed the town’s public spaces with well-lit areas that are clean and landscapes to make people feel safe there.
- They have released an official statement requesting all the school leavers to act responsibly and show respect towards themselves, their friends and the town.
- They’ve developed crime-prevention and safety precautions procedures following the principles of Crime Prevention Through Environmental Designs.
- The holiday rentals and accommodations take the utmost safety measures to keep the schoolies safe when they’re visiting Byron.
- The school leavers are encouraged to contact the local office if they have any questions or in case of emergencies.
- Red Frogs volunteers can be seen all over the Byron Bay area who provide assistance and support for any schoolies in need.
What Safety Measures Must School Leavers Take While Visiting Byron Bay?
- While partying with friends is the main agenda of schoolies, some responsibilities go with it to ensure that this isn’t their last.
- Being on the toes for any signs of danger and making responsible decisions will help them, their friends, and the community be safe and have a memorable time.
- Before flying out to celebrate, the schoolies need to have an open and honest conversation with their parents or guardians about the vacation and gain some wisdom by discussing personal safety, emergencies, drug abuse and alcohol. Remember, they have passed through this stage as well, and they are the ones who will come to aid when in need.
- The schoolies must also plan well-ahead, book places and transport, carry a medical kit, enough clothes, obey the house rules, take safety measures, know their limit when it comes to alcohol and drugs.
- They must trust their instincts and move away from anything they feel unsafe about, and contact Red Frogs volunteers or local authorities upon danger.
Byron Bay schoolies hence provide a great mix of adrenaline-pumping adventure and a laid-back vibe, making it a great place for them to relax and enjoy the happy times with their mates to remember for a lifetime.
(Visited 4 times, 4 visits today)