Australia has a special training system and excellent courses for medical studies. So, if you dream of studying medicine, Australia would be a good option for you. Certainly, before making your final choice, you can learn something about studying medicine in Australia through this complete guide.
Duration of medical studies in Australia
Medical studies in Australia consist of two cycles: the Bachelor and the Postgraduate.
The Bachelor often contains Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), lasting 6 years. A Doctorate in Medicine and Surgery (MD&S) often takes 4 years.
Requirements to study medicine in Australia
For the Bachelor program
Australian universities are considered among the most selective in the world. Therefore, if you want to enroll in one of these universities to study medicine, in general, the requirements will be the following:
- High school academic records in the scientific field, with a solid foundation in chemistry.
- Pass and get a high score on the ISAT exam. (The ISAT is a 3-hour computer-based multiple choice test. It is designed to help Australian universities select international students who wish to study any of the undergraduate and graduate courses. Most colleges require this exam, except The University of Newcastle and The University of Adelaide.)
- Obtain a 7 on the IELTS or equivalent.
For the Postgraduate program
To enroll in the Postgraduate program, you will need:
- Have a good score on your Bachelor’s Degree.
- The results of your aptitude test.
- Take the admission exam of the Graduate School of Medicine ( GAMSAT ) with a minimum score of 50 in each of the 3 sections of the exam.
- Pass an interview conducted by the university.
- Some of the universities require a CV and a letter of recommendation from the student’s previous professors.
The list of requirements and documents may vary from institution to institution due to the complicated nature of the Medicine curriculum. Therefore, we recommend that you contact the universities directly to ensure that the admission process will be smooth.
Medical Universities in Australia
The Australian government pays due attention to education, which explains why it is home to the best universities.
In fact, there are 5 Australian universities among the top 100 universities in the world. Among the leading universities in the field of medicine are the following:
Flinders University is a public university in Australia. It was founded in 1966 and is located in Adelaide.
In addition, it is ranked as one of the Australian universities that spends the most money on experiments and research. Therefore, it is a perfect option and most of the students wish to obtain a place in it.
The University of Newcastle
The university is located in Callaghan, a suburb of Newcastle, New South Wales. The Faculty of Medicine was founded in 1978. It is also known for its problem-solving based training system in its Medical Bachelor program.
Bond University is the first private non-profit university in Australia. It offers an academic environment that allows its students to excel and stand out.
Bond University School of Medicine and Health Sciences is recognized for excellence in training and research in the medical and health sciences.
In addition, it offers a personalized educational experience where you will enjoy small classes and job opportunities.
James Cook University
James Cook University is a leading university in the field of research in Australia. It enjoys an international seal thanks to its association with several universities and research institutions worldwide. This enables the university to offer its graduates the qualifications and skills necessary to enter the global job market.
Monash University is the second oldest university in the State of Victoria and one of the largest in Australia, in terms of the number of students. It is also widely recognized in the research field.
Macquarie University is a public research university based in Sydney. It was founded in 1964 and is considered the third university established in the greater Sydney area.
The university has five faculties, including the Macquarie University Hospital and the School of Management, which is located on the Macquarie City Campus.
The University of Western Australia
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is one of the leading universities in Australia. It has an excellent international reputation in education and research. In addition, it has about 24,000 students enrolled.
If you want to get more medical schools in Australia, you can use Course Finder to easily achieve your goal.
How to Study Medicine in Australia?
To study medicine in Australia, you need to:
– Find medical courses in Australia then choose the best one for yourself.
– Check the requirements of the chosen courses.
– Prepare the documents as required then apply to the medical school in Australia.
– Accept the Offer then complete registration, tuition and other procedures as required.
To sum up, it is difficult to study medicine in Australia. However, the medicine study in Australia will give students the opportunity to become a professional doctor in many countries and regions. So, if you have the opportunity to study medicine in Australia, don’t hesitate to take advantage of it.
(Visited 6 times, 6 visits today)